Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Second to Last Day: There's Good News and Bad News

Today I made pizza from scratch. The finished product was delicious, despite my dough being too thick so the pizza kind of falls apart. I can't eat it in a slice like you're supposed to, but isn't that what God made forks for?

Kneading the dough was really therapeutic. I probably added more flour than called for, but the dough was so sticky. Is there a way to keep your hands from getting covered in dough? I felt bad when I washed it all down the drain. 


This was another one of my "I have stuff that needs to be eaten!" recipes. I used a Fairytale eggplant that I'd brought home from a sustainability seminar two weeks ago, pictured below. They're really tiny, like index-finger-length and taste great when sauteed in olive oil. My problem with eggplant though is that it's rubbery. I'm not a huge fan. I paired the eggplant with a clove of garlic I bought last weekend. 


I used the last half of the jar of spaghetti sauce I had in the fridge to dress the pizza and paired a baby Vidalia onion and wrinkled green pepper that I bought off the clearance table at Hollygrove Market last weekend on the other half of the pizza. Feta cheese from Jessica's house and cheddar cheese that I bought when I got here two months ago (which is still good!) finished off the pie. I covered each topping with half of each cheese, so I actually have four different types of pizza. When I cut the pie, I got between 2 and 4 slices of each type. 


I baked the pie in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes and the crust was crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Pretty damn delicious! 


The best part about it is that I not only learned how to make pizza dough (although you have to divide the dough you make into two parts, save one part and roll the other part out THINLY on the perforated sheet), I also learned how to make whole wheat dough. I will make it again, into bread, once I buy a bread pan or two. My roommate doesn't cook or bake very often, so the kitchen is pretty bare. I miss my Philadelphia kitchen so much some times! 

I have been eating a whole lot of non-local watermelon and boy do I love it...

2 comments:

  1. Eee, how cool! I love recipes that are driven by what one has on hand. The resulting satisfaction is thus twofold: a tasty homemade meal, plus the feeling of having been thrifty and resourceful.

    P.S. The pizza looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'll have to make one for everybody at church next time I come. :) how's your blog?

    ReplyDelete