Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Day 26: Wait What?

First off I'd like to just say, where the heck did the time go? I can't believe I'm already thisclose to July. (And my birthday... I've already got a couple recipe ideas for a cake...) I'm still trying to eat local, but over the last few days, my diet has gone to crap because of Hands@Work projects. I've been eating a lot of PopTarts, tea sandwiches from Liberty's Kitchen (a local business, at least), Sweet N Salty nut bars, and other processed crap. To be fair, I have been eating my own yogurt, local peaches and granola for breakfast, but, y'know... ugh. 

Before the week got crazy though, I baked an egg frittata using my own yogurt and local green peppers. It's an Iranian recipe with yogurt and green peppers. I omitted the chives/scallions because I didn't have any and substituted curry powder for saffron. It was delicious! I took a shot of it when it puffed up in the oven because it looked cool.


Last Friday, in celebration of the solstice, I weeded the volleyball courts with my Mid-City volleyball friends and then enjoyed po-boys with them for dinner. We went to Parkway Tavern on the Bayou and I split a large golden shrimp po-boy with Melissa. It was, in a word, sublime. Definitely the best po-boy I've had since I came here. We got it dressed with tomato, lettuce, mayo and a pickle. It was so good I didn't even put ketchup on it. 


I will reflect more closer to the last day of my local eating challenge, but as of right now I am happy with what I used out of my pantry and the discipline I've acquired for shopping at farmer's markets and for buying local products whenever possible. Convenient food is still a temptation that I struggle with. I wonder what it would take for me to resist... 

No comments:

Post a Comment