Monday, June 10, 2013

Cajun breakfast - MUST TRY

I'm reposting this from Stuff Cajun People Like, which hasn't been updated in four years, sadly, but is a great resource for folks like me who've moved into Cajun country with no idea what they're getting into.

I made couscous tonight, but I have never heard of this before... some weekend morning, it's gonna happen!

Coush Coush (From www.wafb.com)
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Yields:
 6 Servings
Ingredients:
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 and 1/2 tsps salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 and 1/2 cups milk
Method:
In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, salt, baking powder and milk. Using a wire whisk, blend ingredients until well incorporated. When oil is hot, pour in cornmeal mixture. Do not stir. Allow a crust to form. Once formed, stir well and lower heat to simmer. Cover and cook approximately 15 minutes, stirring often. Serve with milk and sugar or with hot coffee milk as cereal.
Even though it's 11 o'clock at night, this has just made me hungry. Mm... I'm going to dream of crunchy deliciousness... 

No comments:

Post a Comment