Sunday, June 2, 2013

Day 2: Delicious (Mostly Local) Soup and Flavored Honey

I knew I had to use up some vegetables to make room for the new ones I'm planning on buying on Thursday and wanted to freeze something I could eat in a pinch, so I went looking for soup recipes. A couple had peanut butter in them, which I found very interesting. I almost cooked a Zimbabwe soup with peanut butter and red pepper flakes, but then I decided to go with this one instead. I modified the recipe below and it is EXCELLENT. Incredibly easy and very tasty. I wish it was more filling, but I have lots more of it in the fridge! 8 cups of stock makes between 10 and 12 cups of soup. This is a vegetarian version but it would be wonderful with chicken. This is a great "what do I have in the fridge/pantry that I can use up?" soup.

Peanut Butter Potato, Carrot and Cabbage Soup

2 tablespoons vegetable Better than Bouillon for 8 oz stock
5 new red potatoes, cubed (with the skins)
3 carrots, diced (1 cup)
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped
2 tablespoons minced dried onions (equal to about 1/3 cup of fresh chopped onions)
1/2 tsp minced dried garlic (equal to 2 whole cloves)
a little more than 1/4 cup dehydrated peanut butter PB2 
a dash of red pepper flakes


Today I also caved to the heat and bought a snowball at Rouse's. It's root beer and it was fantastic.


This picture doesn't look too appetizing, but it's flavored honey that I tried this morning at the cheese making class I attended. It's part of the Eat Local Challenge I'm participating in. Aviva, the fabulous young woman who taught the class, flavored this honey with watermelon rind (which is amazing) and cinnamon sticks. 


 I'm happy that I have soup in my fridge and freezer, potato salad and coleslaw for a few days' lunch, and delicious produce that I'll be buying on Thursday! Yay!









No comments:

Post a Comment