Saturday, June 8, 2013

Day 7: If Only They Were Bigger...


Today I found a banana tree that actually has fruit on it! I have been craving bananas, having eaten one with my smoothie breakfast every day for over a year. For Eat Local month I'm trying to go without. I was so excited to find trees that actually fruit, but the bananas are small and hard and probably take a long time to grow. So no dice.

On a good note, I finally got local yogurt on Thursday at the farmer's market. Mauthe's Farm dairy is in Mississippi, which is better than nothing. I'm going to try making my own yogurt because it's so much cheaper. I think I paid $3.50 for a medium container. The nice thing about making your own yogurt is that you get the same amount of yogurt as the amount of milk you use, so if you buy a half gallon for say $3.50 you get a half gallon of yogurt, which is probably twice as much as I got for $3.50. But I ate it with GrapeNuts (pantry), maple syrup (pantry), and strawberries (local, frozen). Very yummy! 


Anyone know of any substitutes for bananas? Thanks!

Happy munching!

No comments:

Post a Comment