Sunday, June 16, 2013

Day 16 1/2: I Guess I'm a Good Cook

Although we were uninspired to cook breakfast, my co-worker and I did cook on Friday night at her house in New Orleans East (where I swam in her pool: ooooooh yeah). She had some penne and Pomi chopped tomatoes so I bought a baguette from Gracious Bakery (local, bamf) and garlic, basil and peaches from Hollygrove Market and Farm (SO local, bamf x 2) to make pasta al fresco and baked peaches. She doesn't like raw peaches because of the texture, but they were so ripe and perfect I baked them so she could eat them.


I started the pasta first, then sauteed a clove of garlic with olive oil. After the garlic started browning, I added the Pomi and shredded fresh basil leaves into the mixture. Then I let it simmer for awhile, stirring occasionally. It needed something so I added garlic pepper and Italian seasoning. Apparently I'm amazing at making sauce because my co-worker ate seconds and she doesn't eat much. I was very happy! 

The peaches were super simple; I cut them in half and pulled them off the pits. Then I sprinkled them with Sugar in the Raw (maybe a bit too liberally but hey) and some pumpkin pie spice. I would have preferred cinnamon and nutmeg but that was the only sweet spice that was in the house. Everything else was Cajun! I baked them at 350 for just under 20 minutes. Some of the sugar melted over and got caramelized. The best part was eating the caramel with a fork off the pan. 



Then I smothered the peaches with Neopolitan ice cream and went to heaven.

Tune in soon for yogurt results!

No comments:

Post a Comment