Monday, June 10, 2013

Day 10: Pickles and Rainbow Chard


I am being bad. Despite the fact that I was gifted about two dozen locally grown grapefruits today, I have been eating a whole lot of non-local foods. So to make up for it, I made myself cook tonight.


When You Don't Have White Vinegar Pickles

2 tablespoons sea salt (about 1 oz)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (about 1 oz)
2 cups water
6 small pickling cucumbers, sliced
dried dill weed
(Adapted from The Food Network's recipe)

I may have refrigerated them too soon. I poured the brine over the pickles after cooling for 5-10 minutes, sealed the jars and put them into the fridge. According to Pick Your Own, you're supposed to let the jars cool to room temp and then put them in the fridge. (They also suggest you pick your own cucumbers and then buy pickle seasoning, oy vey.) Well, I'm going to wait a week and taste them and see how they turn out...




Sweet and Spicy Rainbow Chard with Couscous

3/4 bunch of rainbow chard
olive oil
garam masala
maple syrup
"instant" couscous

I'm not one for measurements, but I wanted to mock a sweet and spicy rainbow chard without ginger. I used maple sugar and garam masala to taste. It's amazing! Saute the rainbow chard, stems and leaves, in the olive oil. Sprinkle the garam masala and drizzle (okay, splash) the maple syrup on the couscous. Stir and then spoon the rainbow chard on top. Add more maple syrup and caram masala if you like.


Rainbow Chard with Smoked Mozzarella

1/4 bunch of rainbow chard
olive oil
smoked mozzarella (from Whole Foods - a friend gave it to me)

Saute the rainbow chard, stems and leaves, in the olive oil. Place the mozzarella on top so that it melts. I wonder how this would taste on crispy toast? Hm...

And as a final note: I completely threw local food out the window and bought 600 grams of Vegemite, which arrived on my doorstep today. SO happy!

Now I just have to make sure I'm home eating this yummy food. That's the next important thing to figure out: how to eat local on the go, prepping meals ahead that I can take with me.

Away I go a'pondering...



No comments:

Post a Comment