Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Day 19: I Can Have My Potatoes and Eat Out, Too


Potato Croquettes
Adapted from Southern Food

5 small new red potatoes
1 mini Vidalia onion, peeled
2 eggs, beaten
(all local so far!)
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon flax seed
1 tablespoon (or so) of GrapeNuts
(the above three ingredients substitute for bread crumbs, and none of them are local)
2 tablespoons yogurt (substitute for milk; adds a tanginess and a little more hold)
1/2 clove of garlic, chopped (local)
Sea salt and peppercorn medley, to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil per six pancakes; add more as necessary

I have always wanted to make potato pancakes but haven't had the opportunity or ingredients until now. There have been six new red potatoes sitting in my fruit bowl for almost three weeks now and I made one of them into microwaved potato chips over the weekend. I was stumped on what to do with the others. Last time I bought potatoes I made potato salad and the time before that I made potato soup... so what now? Then I found a recipe I could work with for potato croquettes or pancakes. The time was right!


Once I figured out how long to let them fry, I didn't have any problems. I made 14 pancakes and have 12 in my fridge; one got flipped down the crack between the oven and the counter by accident (don't you HATE that crack?) and the other was eaten with homemade hummus from 100% Cajun in the Marigny. Delicious! I love how the GrapeNuts add some crunch and the yogurt adds a nice tang. There're a lot of flavors going on there.

Today was crazy at work - a group of 68 people who're coming to the city to volunteer got dropped in our laps yesterday and we've been scrambling to find projects for them all next week, Saturday through Thursday. (But we might close the office Friday - HALLELUJAH!) So I spent the morning calling and emailing and going nuts thinking, when is lunch coming sweet Jesus so I can get out of here for a little bit? Then, my co-worker mentioned she was checking out a burger place called TruBurger. I thought, but I have a lunch upstairs... then I looked at the menu online and saw that the burgers were $4.99 for a single. "YES!" I shouted to the other office! So we went out and had a delicious lunch, including a dynamite chocolate milkshake. Lots of laughs were had as well, and I'm satisfied knowing that lunch is waiting for me to eat it tomorrow.


On a personal note, I am excited to say that ice cream doesn't seem to be bothering my stomach like it did in college. Wahoo!

On a sad note, my Icelandic chocolate has all been eaten. Boo.

Now we'll just have to see if those potato pancakes microwave well...

No comments:

Post a Comment