Sunday, April 28, 2013

When Life Gives Abby Potatoes

One of my favorite soups, because it's the one I make the most - because it's the only soup I make - is potato soup. A few days ago (when my Mom was here in NOLA with me yay) I bought three potatoes for 59 cents a pound because they'd started sprouting. I also bought an onion because even though I hate onions by themselves, I recognize that they are essential for certain recipes.

The recipe called for half an onion, sauteed in butter until translucent. If I could photograph the smell of onions sauteing in butter, I would. It's an amazing smell. 

I have made one potato soup from allrecipes.com that was more like liquidy mashed potatoes, but this was Old-Fashioned Potato Soup by Cyd Lmbros. I knew it was time to make a potato soup because the potatoes needed to be eaten and my favorite way to eat potatoes is in soups (no microwave required). So I diced the three of them with one carrot and put them in a pot to boil with 2 1/2 cups water (because the 1 1/2 cups the recipe calls for just didn't seem like enough; note: it is) and a tablespoon of Vegetarian No Chicken Base Better than Bouillon paste. 


After they'd boiled and I'd made the butter, onions and flour paste, I drained out 1/2-3/4 cup of water and bouillon because it seemed like too much water (note: it was). I added some black pepper (perhaps a leeeetle too much) and 1/8 teaspoon of thyme, omitting the parsley because I didn't have any. 


Ta da! Delicious! If you try the recipe, let me know what you think. I think it's almost like a potato chowder. I did also use almond milk so that added a very subtle nuttiness. 

Happy munching! 

The Question of the Day: If you heat up Cajun roasted potatoes in a frying pan, are they called re-fried roasted potatoes?







1 comment:

  1. That looks awesome! Onions smell divine when they're cooking, but then the next time I walk into my own house I'm like, "How did I not notice that it smells like the Old Country in here?!"

    And I love getting good discount produce. :-)

    ReplyDelete