Saturday, April 13, 2013

When Life Gives you Veggies and Eggs...

Although my mother never cooked frittata for me, I decided today that when I have children this will be one of my staple dinners. It's so easy and you can adapt it for whatever you have in the fridge. The recipe I use is adapted from the Crustless Spinach Quiche on AllRecipes.com. I've made it multiple times and it always makes me happy. Although the dish is called a crustless quiche, a crustless quiche is also called a frittata.

But first:


My soon to be ex roommate (sad face!) Janine gave us all a belated April Fool's Day prank this morning by floating eyeballs in our coffee cups. I love how it looks cross-eyed, even though there's only one eye... Now aren't you so hungry? 

So my favorite frittata recipe browns beautifully and tastes really good. The ingredients are simple: 

eggs (5 for a pie pan and 10 for a brownie pan) 
onion (even though I hate onion, I always use it because it completes the taste of most baked dishes) 
veggies (whatever you have in the fridge - I like to use celery, carrots, broccoli, and spinach but there are many that you can use)
cheese (if you like - it tastes lovely with or without; I've mostly used cheddar but I think Muenster or feta would be awesome) 
salt and pepper to taste

All you have to do is soften the veggies, onions first, in a frying pan with oil (vegetable or olive), then beat the eggs and mix everything together. 

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. I've always made these for potlucks, so I make them the day before and put them in the fridge overnight. Then I put them in the oven for 15-20 minutes before serving. 



May I just say that I like the way this blog is formatted? It seems to be very easy, definitely way easier than trying to format anything in Microsoft Word. Ugh. 

If you feel inspired to make this frittata, please comment and let me know how it goes! Thanks for reading! 


No comments:

Post a Comment