Sunday, May 5, 2013

Come to New Orleans - we have cupcakes!


Hello. This is what happens when I make cupcakes. I inevitably eat the cake mix, even though I know it has raw egg in it, and I get it all over my face. But isn't it incredible that I'm wearing a scarf in New Orleans? The wind is cold here, especially when you live near the bayou like I do. It's also very cold in my house, so even though it might be warm and sunny outside, I'm wearing long sleeves, fuzzy socks and a scarf indoors. 

So last week was my first at work, and it consisted of orientation and paperwork, on-the-job experience touring future project sites, reading through my predecessor's files, and touring my pocket neighborhood by car with my supervisor and then by foot with my predecessor. It was a little overwhelming but I hope that if I give myself the time to adjust and get to know people, I will have a very successful year. 

Yesterday was Moving Day so I packed up all my stuff on Dryades Street, packed it into my roommate's car and unpacked it at Delgado Street. Then after a little unpacking and rearranging, my supervisor picked me up in our Home Depot truck to drive out to Old Metairie and collect the bed frame and mattress I'd found on Craigslist. It turned out to be perfect, but ridiculously heavy. By the time we got it into my room, I was pretty much wiped out. I also discovered that my phone doesn't have any bars in my house, so it was something of a tough day. How was I going to make it better? Cupcakes. 

Anyone who's familiar with Kid President knows that all the world's problems can be solved by cupcakes. (I don't know how I feel about him advertising for the store, but...) I started gathering ingredients and realized that my roommate didn't have vegetable oil, because she never bakes. So I had to put my cupcake-making on hold.

But as you can see below, I made them. I made a lot of them. And now I don't know what to do with them. So - come to New Orleans! We have cupcakes! 


In case you're wondering, the cupcakes were baked in silicone cupcake liners. I bought half of them from a food co-op in Philadelphia and the other half at Wal-Mart and the ones that perform better are the ones from Wal-Mart. Sigh. I didn't have enough of them so these ones were naked; I just coated the cups with PAM. 
  

This was the poor tester; the cupcakes were not ready to be frosted just yet. So I gleefully ate this one first.


All y'all folks might have margaritas, but I have cupcakes. Wanna trade?

(And as I write this, I am eating the last of my delicious potato soup!)

1 comment:

  1. Eeee, I love that you're telling the story of your life through the meals you're making in it! And feeling wiped out after a move is a strangely satisfying feeling.

    ReplyDelete