Wednesday, May 8, 2013

I have a 44 oz. daiquiri and all your arguments are invalid

Good evening! Today, I'd like to begin with this: 

Let's all just laugh at this for a second, and then I'll tell you what it is. Hahahahaha little tiny cup of white - you are DOMINATED by me! 

Now here in Nawlins we have something that boggles my mind and all the minds of everyone who's from elsewhere. It's called a drive-through daiquiri and is exactly what it sounds like: (A note: I will now be following that blog forever!) a Sonic, let's compare it to, that serves alcoholic frozen drink mixes, plus $1 extra shots! Daiquiris happen to be one of my favorite foods and although I've had them in New Orleans before, I had not had one since moving here three weeks ago. (Three weeks! Wee!) 

Yesterday, while shopping in Metairie, which has the only Target anywhere near me, my new roommate Tara asked if I'd been to a drive-through daiquiri before. When I said no she replied, "Well then we're going to give you the full Metairie experience" and proceeded to buy me a strawberry daiquiri (while getting a pina colada for herself) and cupcakes from Sucre, a local bakery chain down here that happens to have a beautiful website. Beware, it'll make you hungry. 

Fat Tuesday, which is apparently every week here at the drive-through, offers a 44 oz. daiquiri for $8.00. Of course I got one and proceeded to drink the whole thing over the next 3-4 hours. It was delicious! 


 For comparison, that's a 20 oz. water cup. It doesn't look all that much smaller, but that Fat Tuesday cup is FAT.

The golden cupcake below was marked as the Salted Caramel, which Tara said they're famous for. But as we ate it, we noticed that it tasted more like coffee than caramel and weren't sure what went down. Nonetheless - still delicious.


My pretty little flower of a cupcake is strawberry to match my daiquiri and tasted more like angel food cake than any cupcake batter I'd ever tasted. It was so light. Again, melt in your mouth delicious.


So for dinner last night I had a daiquiri and cupcakes and a whole lotta laughter. It turned what had been something of a stressful day into a night of revelry, just like every night in New Orleans.

Happy slurping! And remember - if they didn't put the straw in when they handed you the cup, it's not illegal!

2 comments:

  1. Wait... is there alcohol in that? (Stupid question!) In PA, if you drive with an "open container" anywhere in the car, they can take your car and ruin your life and banish you to the salt flats of Nevada or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes, there is lots of alcohol in that. The law says that containers are allowed in the car but not if they have a straw in them. :p It's assumed that people aren't going to drink them until they get home, but most people don't follow that...

      Delete