Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mexican Food Trucks: Friend or Foe?

I titled this post as I did because anyone living in Connecticut who drives in New Haven between I-91 and the Quinnipiac river has probably had this same thought once or twice. Along that stretch there is a swath of gravel, not quite a parking lot, where there are between four and ten food trucks, all covered with colorful flags and pendants and Spanish. Many a time I've wondered: is that food any good? I don't know because I've never tried them, but if they're anything like the food truck I ate lunch at today in the Lower Ninth Ward, I will try one next time I'm in the area near dinner. For this one at least, the answer is FRIEND. 


The food might not look like much, but the taste? Oh my God. After a group of 100 people completed a two-hour project at the Guerrilla Garden this morning, our four-person crew was HUNGRY and looking for some good, cheap grub. It just so happened that our executive director noticed this food truck while running an errand and suggested we head there for lunch. 

The name of the truck is Taqueria La Coyota (yay UrbanSpoon!) and it was parked on Tupelo and N. Claiborne near the border of the Lower Ninth Ward and Arabi. For $5, I got the beautiful beef burrito pictured above which fed me for lunch and dinner. There was some gristle but the spices in the beef were incredible. They also have a fantastic cantaloupe slushie of sorts, called jugos I think, that is very refreshing on a hot day. 

I highly recommend it if you're in the area, and I also recommend giving the next Mexican food truck you see a shot. You might be pleasantly surprised! 

No comments:

Post a Comment