Friday, May 10, 2013

Two Days of Yum

Last night I planned to go to a neighborhood association meeting in the Historic Treme of New Orleans and also hoped to go to the Marketplace at Jazz in the Park to have dinner. When I arrived at the meeting, there was a sign on the door that said, in a nutshell: 

"In memorial for Pat Evans [a famous local musician I presume] we are at Jazz in the Park. The next meeting is June 13th." 

I said, Welp, to Jazz in the Park I go! 

I deposited my bike with the free valet and started to walk around. Oh, the smells, the sounds, the people! There were at least half a dozen huge grills set up and various food vendors. I knew I'd be getting a fantastic dinner. I shopped around to see what the most I could get for my money was and decided upon the BBQ N' Some where you can get a BBQ chicken leg and thigh and two sides for $7. I asked the gentleman in front of me what he was getting and when we realized we were getting the same thing, he fist-pumped and we were the smartest eaters ever. 

How can I even describe this barbecue? Sweet, moist, tangy... heaven. Oh my God it was the best barbecue I have ever tasted. Now I'm no connossieur (I even had to look up how it's spelled!) of barbecue but this was just... amazing. Oh fuck. While I was eating it as slowly as possible, a guy walked up to me and asked, "Is that barbecue so good you'd tell ya mama?" Or he might've said "Is that barbecue so good you'd slap ya mama?" as is the vernacular. I replied, "Abso-fucking-lutely." 

The beans were your typical baked beans that I added the yummy barbecue sauce to. The coleslaw was sublime... the spices were perfect, the cabbage was crispy, and it wasn't soggy. So amazingly delicious. 


The second part of this blog is the yummy dish I made today with the palest sweet potato I've ever seen. It kind of looks like a fish in the pan! 


Extremely simple, just cubes of sweet potato in a frying pan of olive oil, paprika, dill weed and sea salt. Odd combination of spices perhaps but oh so yummy. 

And in other news I'm attempting to substitute flax seed for butter in Annie's Macaroni and Cheese... I hope it'll be yummy (as that is today's theme, which does not, in fact, rhyme with Treme). It turned out very lumpy and stringy and kind of gross. Bummer! Lesson learned - flax seed does NOT translate to butter! 

Happy cooking! 


No comments:

Post a Comment