Sunday, September 29, 2013

It's OVER ONE THOUSANNNNNNNNNNNNND!

Hey guys! Thank you for being awesome readers and for putting me over a 1000 views! That's pretty exciting!

On Saturday I had my first satsumas, which was pretty awesome. I drank Abita Satsuma beer and didn't think it tasted very satsuma-y, not actually having tasted a satsuma.


When I saw them in this basket, I thought - it's a lime! it's a lemon! (because they are green on the trees down here) no - it's round! What the heck? And one of my co-workers said "Did it suddenly become satsuma season?" and yes, yes it has. They were squishy and ripe so I peeled one. (And then another... and another...)


Mind blown, right? They're orange on the inside and do turn orange once they're picked. These are just early satsumas so they're still green. But they were juicy and quite tasty. I am always happy when I can have local citrus. 

Here's to the satsuma! 

The satsuma, Citrus unshiu (definitely going to call it that from now on!), is a seedless citrus fruit from Japan. There are four cities in the union named after the satsuma, one in Florida, Alabama, Texas and Louisiana - all hot places where they flourish. Only the kumquat can withstand cooler temperatures than the satsuma, whose trees can last in 15 degree Fahrenheit weather for a few hours. (15 degrees in New Orleans? haha hahahahh HA HAHAHAHHAAA that's a good one.) (Thanks Wikipedia!) 

Keep calm and peel on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment