Friday, September 13, 2013

A Freezer's Worth of End of Season Peaches

A week ago, I bought a box - at least 20 pounds - of end of season peaches. Some of them weren't ripe yet but they've been ripening quickly ever since. It was the last week that the orchard staff would be coming to the farmer's market so I knew I wanted to buy as much of their stock as I could. Luckily I live within walking distance of the market so I bought the box and carried it home, leaving my bike under their watchful eyes. One of my neighbors stopped on her bike to ask if I wanted help, so I met another neighbor. I love that about New Orleans - folks really are willing to help you out.

I sat myself down in front of the box and started to cut up the ones that were mostly ripe. I separated out the really ripe ones that were starting to bruise to use right away. The rest went into baggies in my freezer. My roommate has also started to drink green smoothies with bananas, mangoes and various greens so our fridge and freezer are bursting with fruits and veggies. I have one more bag of strawberries which I'll use in my smoothies after I run out of fresh peaches and then it'll be frozen peaches probably until November, or December if I'm lucky. I am quite obsessed with fresh, local-grown fruits and veggies. The South is spoiling me.

I did a little more 3-T cooking last week when I had three butternut squash and a bunch of peaches. I decided to roast the squash with olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper and on a whim added two peaches.


You almost can't even see the peaches! Surprisingly, the dish was wonderful.


I brought it to a potluck on Tuesday where it was gobbled up. Everyone loved it. The peaches add a nice sweetness in contrast to the garlic. 

I'm sitting here snuffling, thankful for the hot soup that's making my nose run, but also grimacing as I drink apple cider vinegar and honey with weak Throat Coat tea. Whenever I have a cold it starts in my throat then moves to my chest where it settles and makes me tired and hungry. It's like I'm never satisfied. So to distract me - 

what are you cooking? 

2 comments:

  1. Butternut squash and peaches- you are bold! I found some great local tomatoes last weekend and added some fresh local basil to make a bruschetta. Simple fresh food is hard to beat! I am loving the end-of-season produce that is available. I may have to try freezing as well. Feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love local tomatoes with basil. I have some in the fridge, actually. Thank you for the well wishes!

    ReplyDelete