Sunday, July 6, 2014

"Oh go back to your double-wide and fry something!"

Any other "Sweet Home Alabama" fans? That has to be one of my favorite rom-com's and it's lucky that they play it on TV like every other day so if you're flipping channels looking for something to watch, chances are good that you'll stumble upon it. How could you go wrong? Reese Witherspoon, McDreamy, Josh Lucas (who doesn't have a Mc-hot something nickname but is no less deserving) and Candice Bergen (who is one of my favorite actresses whose name I do not know) make a great cast with lots of awesome soundbites: 

- the title of this blog
- "Why'd you wanna marry a guy like me?" 
"So I can kiss you whenever I want." 

The center has it on VHS so I might just be watching it later... 

Anyways, I named this blog after that quote because for the first time I really fried something. I've done stir-fries but this was the first time I poured a half-inch of oil into a pan and set things to bubbling in it. It was lots of fun. 

I had to do it because a friend, Kay, the woman who taught me the quilt stitch, gave me four squash from her garden last Wednesday. She gave me two summer squash and two yellow crookneck squash (which I had to Google under "bubbly yellow squash") and said, "You have to fry 'em, like this..." and told me how to do it but I forgot. Thank goodness for the internet. I used someone else's Grandmother's recipe and made some adaptations.  


I don't peel my squash. The skin tastes just like the rest of the vegetable and I figure it's more healthful to keep it on. Instead of using six pounds of squash like the recipe says I just used two squash (don't know how many pounds but nowhere near to six). I wasn't sure how much Ryan would eat because he said he wasn't that big a squash fan - we still have leftovers.


I scooped out the seeds of the crookneck squash by inserting a knife into the squash in a circle, then scooping with a spoon. I composted the seeds and cut the squash into rings. (A good way to eat "onion rings" if you don't like onions!) 


I left the seeds in the yellow squash because they didn't seem as easy to cut out. So I just made slices. (Interestingly, these ones were much more flavorful. Perhaps that was the seeds? Perhaps they were more moist because they weren't in rings?) 


Once the squashes were sliced I prepared the frying ingredients. The recipe called for a milk and egg mixture instead of buttermilk, which I didn't have. Then I was reminded that buttermilk is really just curdled milk, so if you have white vinegar and milk and a little time, you have buttermilk.


The dry mixture included cornmeal, flour, salt, and garlic and herb spice.


I tried to use as little oil as possible and was happy with the results. I also used olive oil, though I think vegetable oil is what most people use for frying. 


The summer squash made up the second batch and I used even less oil than the first batch. I didn't change the oil in between batches, though I considered it. The cornmeal added an extra crunch, as did the half white, half wheat flour that I use. 


Ryan's contribution stole the show, really. He said, "Shouldn't we dip these in something?" He mixed together mayonnaise, olive oil and Frank's Redhot Sauce. It was out of this world delicious.


These are the leftovers. Unfortunately fried things like this never taste as good as they did right out of the frying pan, so I recommend making these for more than two people. I think at least four would be ideal. Also, be careful to prepare less dry ingredients if you're using less squash. I only used about half the wet mixture and still have about half the dry mixture. Hopefully I can use the dry mixture to fry some chicken tonight but I don't know if it'll still be good. I hate when things go to waste. 

(Unfortunately I didn't have any Oreos... I could have tried frying marshmallows but I feel like that would just make a mess. I wonder what would happen if you froze them and then fried them? HMMM... that just might be my next blog post! Oh look - 'fried marshmallows' is a thing. Thanks Google!)

Do you like to fry? What do you fry? 




2 comments:

  1. this sounds really yummy! When I lived in New Orleans (1980 -- 1982) I was introduced to lots of fried veggies as appetizers and fell in love with the concept. Never been brave enough to do the frying myself though! Dad got a very bad burn one time when there was some extra moisture in something that he put in very hot oil, ... maybe that's why I'm so uneasy with frying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ferminator! It's a lot simpler than I thought it would be. You just have to have patience while the stuff fries and sometimes it's hard to measure when it's done. Yeah, burns are legit! I'm thankful that I didn't get any. :)

    ReplyDelete