Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Sneaux Day Meals

While working from home and not leaving the house (or my pajamas) for two days, I'm cooking up some interesting things. Yesterday I heated up a can of Bush's Baked Beans that I bought on clearance awhile back, but spruced up the meal a little by pairing the beans with cheese and spring onion quesadillas. I'm not a fan of onions, but these are okay in my book. They're very mild and very sweet, recommended to me by my favorite farmer, Nancy. I heated up two tortillas in a frying pan and lay slices of sheep cheese on top of the tortillas. After the tortillas got crispy and just before I folded them over, I sprinkled the chopped onion sprouts onto the cheese. The result was a crispy little pocket of cheese and sweet onion, which I then dipped in the baked beans and ate with fresh cherry tomatoes on the side. It was a really yummy little lunch.

Today, I decided against using the second half of the can of beans. It'll be a quick dinner tomorrow night, perhaps. Instead, I heated up two more tortillas and evaluated my pantry. A week ago, I tried to make yogurt and wound up with thick milk and cream cheese on the bottom of the pot. I had the last of it in my fridge, along with the spring onions, and a couple sweet potatoes in my fruit bowl. (Also - is that comma after onions an example of the Oxford comma?) I roasted one of the small sweet potatoes in my microwave and mashed it with the cream cheese, chopped spring onions, and a sprinkle of dried oregano. Then I spooned the paste into a crispy tortilla like a little taco.


It was creamy and savory, with a little burst of sweetness here and there. The crunch of the tortilla was also great. 

What do you like to eat during cold weather? 

Happy munching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment