Saturday, January 25, 2014

Re-purposing Gifts and Leftovers

Remember that Snickerdoodle almond butter I said I bought at Hollygrove Market? I didn't like the taste so instead of trying to eat it on matzo for 20 days I searched "almond butter cookies" in Google. I found a very simple, 5-ingredient recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction and whipped them up. 


I added the rest of the cinnamon spicing pecans from my pantry.  I loved how gooey the dough was, forming into a tight ball in the bowl.



After 10 minutes, the cookies were crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. But, they still taste like Snickerdoodle almond butter - go figure! I put them in the one and half dozen cookies in the freezer thinking I would share them with friends. Instead I ate two for dessert. 

When my dear friend Jess left New Orleans, she gave me some of her pantry goods including dried black beans, canned black beans, ziti, and oatmeal. She also gave me a box of Zatarain's jambalaya. This was definitely better than the jambalaya I made in Philadelphia at a Mardi Gras party last year. (But oh my God the sodium content! I added black beans and the sodium from the albeit low-sodium Zatarain's and the two together took care of a third of my daily sodium intake.)  


Look at that steam! 

One of my New Year's resolutions was to take better food photos, so I was pretty happy that these looked okay. Because of the overhead lighting, though, I have to make sure my shadow stays out of the shot! 

I sauteed spring onions and vinegar-soaked garlic cloves in olive oil. Oh, the smell! I can't even begin to describe the smell but it was delicious. So good. 


Then I added tatsoi, a beautiful Japanese spinach that I started buying from one of my favorite farmers at the Thursday market. It cooks up a lot like spinach and can also be used in smoothies.

   

Yum! Then I had two of those almond butter cookies for dessert... I still don't quite like the taste but how can anyone resist cookies?

Happy munching!

No comments:

Post a Comment