Monday, October 28, 2013

Farmer's Market End of October Edition

Last week at the farmer's market I walked into heaven. The stands were overflowing with fall greens: kale, kolrabi, Japanese spinach, and other things I'd never even heard of. The thing that made me happiest, though, was red peppers. I've been wanting red peppers but since they weren't in season I made myself wait. You know the saying - and there were the red peppers I'd been waiting for.

Not wanting to go overboard, I picked up purple kale, red peppers, apples, green beans and shrimp. The shrimp was wonderful last week so over the weekend I needed to figure out what to do with all the rest. I went to Rouses, thinking I might buy chicken to go with the peppers. I remembered having some delicious sausages at a barbecue once and know that sausage and peppers go well together. My only mistake was buying the sweet Italian pepper sausage to go with the peppers - that particular type of sausage has fennel in it, which I don't particularly like. Lesson learned!

But, since I don't throw anything out, I'll eat the sausage. I sauteed the sausage and then added sliced red peppers and a little olive oil. I brought half of what I cooked for lunch today and have the rest for later. I ate the sausage and peppers on tortillas with hummus. Delicious (despite the fennel).


As for the kale, I've been putting it in smoothies but still had a huge bunch that wilted in the fridge. Not wanting it to go bad, I knew I'd have to eat it for dinner tonight. I remembered I had some bacon in the freezer so I Googled "kale and bacon" and came up with this recipe. It sounded perfect. I had to adjust the recipe a little bit as I did not have 2 pounds of kale or 10 slices of bacon, but I used up all my kale and all my bacon and thus achieved the goal of the meal. 

I realized something strange while eating this. Chinese food, specifically thin brown sauce, must be a combination of garlic, bacon grease, water and some leafy green because that's exactly what this dish tasted like. It was really quite yummy. 


For dessert I blended two bananas with some yogurt, a tablespoonful of carob powder and a little water to make a mock Wendy's Frosty. I won't be eating there until they pay their tomato workers a fair wage. If you're interested in this campaign, please click here to sign the petition and read more. 

What are your favorite farmer's market fares? 

Happy munching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment