Thursday, October 24, 2013

Conquering a Fear: Shrimp!

I love shrimp. Growing up, I never had it at home because my mom's allergic. Whenever she eats it, her tongue itches. I can't imagine how annoying that would be. Whenever we'd go out, I'd get pasta with shrimp or Chinese food with shrimp and have the leftovers ALL to myself.

Every week at the Crescent City Farmer's Market, I walk past coolers full of shrimp, crab and catfish. They all look so delicious and affordable but I just wouldn't know how to cook them. Knowing I have very little food at home and an evening to myself, I finally took the plunge. I walked up to the seafood woman and said, "I have two questions: how long will these keep and how do I cook them?" She gladly answered my questions and I bought a 1/2 pound of de-veined, peeled shrimp.

I also bought green beans, purple kale, apples, and peppers. I wasn't sure what to do with the shrimp but liked the idea of sauteing them with the Gar'Live (garlic, butter, olive oil and herbs) that I bought at the market awhile back. I Googled sauteed shrimp and green beans and came up with a paprika shrimp recipe.


I sauteed the green beans first in the Gar'Live so that they'd be a little softer when I added the shrimp. They cooked for probably five minutes. 


Then I added the shrimp and a little lemon juice.


To serve, I added a bunch of Parmesan cheese (because I love it). This would be incredible over pasta. The beans were al dente and the shrimp had complex flavors of butter, lemon, paprika, and garlic. Mouthwatering. Probably one of the best things I've cooked in a long time. And oh so easy to make! 

Happy munching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment