Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Spanish Rice, aka What to do with Leftover Rice

Once again I've been a very bad blogger. It's been almost three weeks since my last blog and I've been cooking since then; just haven't made myself sit down and write. But today I've got pumpkins roasting in the oven and lots of time to stay home and play catch-up. 

During my second to last day at Farmer Joe's (waah), we had Chinese food for lunch. Aaron wanted the leftover Chinese but not the rice because she doesn't like rice, so I took it home. I thus had three cartons of rice, one brown and two white. With no idea what to cook for dinner, I asked Mom for some advice. She said that her mom, my grandma Bee, used to make huge quantities of rice and throw in bacon, canned tomatoes, and whatever else she had in the fridge to feed her husband and five kids. Rice, like oatmeal, is stick-to-the-ribs food and relatively cheap, so it's great for big families. Because this dish is my grandma's, and an iteration of canned tomatoes and rice was a staple of my mom's when she lived alone, this post may be the closest I've come to the purpose of this blog in awhile. 


All you have to do is heat the rice in a skillet while making the bacon. I decided to use one of those microwaved bacon doohickeys (that's how that's spelled - I learned something today!), but you could also make the bacon in the oven. 


Add a can of diced or chopped or stewed (or fresh chopped) tomatoes and stir. You may need to add extra liquid but we didn't and it was fine.


Then break the bacon into little bits and mix in with the rice.


It's a simple, pretty dish with a lot of flavor. You shouldn't need extra salt and you can add pepper or garlic or basil; whatever floats your boat. The dish also lasts well in the fridge if you don't eat it all at once.

You can also make it with fresh rice, but I think that defeats the purpose a little bit. Part of the main idea is to use up what you've got.

What would you put in this dish?

Happy munching!

No comments:

Post a Comment