Friday, August 22, 2014

Day Off Cornmeal Pancakes

I recently started a new job working at a farm stand in my hometown. Although I love the work, it's been hard on this body that's gotten soft not having to bike everywhere or carry tons of stuff each week to prep for volunteer projects. I am SORE. Today is my day off so I woke up slow and said to myself, "I want pancakes for breakfast." Unfortunately it's not always easy to make just one serving of pancakes, though I will halve the recipe next time. I read an article from Coffee Meets Bagel about "single people problems," one of which being leftovers. "Craving a brownie? How about twelve?"

I've always loved leftovers, which I'm sure you've noticed if you've been following along. But when I make pancakes I inevitably eat a few while cooking them and then just freeze what's left. So I eat maybe three or four and then save twice that. They taste almost as good when you microwave them, but still - fresh off the griddle is ALWAYS better. 

I was determined to use some more of my Louisiana cornmeal so I made the cakes. I had to take pictures because I have never - NEVER - not burned the first batch. And just look! 


Golden brown, fluffy, perfect! "It NEVER happens!" - Lewis Black

I used gigi's Batter Cakes recipe and made some changes.


I used powdered buttermilk (from the infamous pantry) and thought it was neat, all frothy like that.


The batter was WAY too runny. Perhaps you should only use 1/2 cup of buttermilk instead of a full cup? My envelope of powdered buttermilk made a cup's worth so I used the whole thing, but I had to add 2/3 cup of flour like someone suggested in the comments. 


The directions say to pour on the griddle in "heaping tablespoonfuls." Ain't no way you could make a heaping tablespoonful out of that runny mess above. 


The recipe said it made ten servings but I got a dozen small pancakes out of the batch. So unless the servings are... no, I don't even want to try to solve that. I have no idea what the serving size is supposed to be. One pancake? Oh well. 

Mm... they even taste good out of the microwave... 

What are your favorite pancake ingredients? 

Happy munching! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment