Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Brilliance of Knowing What You've Got

Today was one of those days where you just don't want to get out of bed. I woke up around 10:30 but instead of getting up and doing things, I read a magazine in my nightgown under the covers. My body ached from I don't know what and I just wanted to veg. Sometimes I don't need to eat right after waking up and am able to just chill out. 

Lots of the women in the magazine I was reading were talking about eating pancakes so I thought about making them. But I'd made them last week so I couldn't again. (I made carob pancakes with walnuts - so delicious!) Then I remembered the sourdough bread slices in my freezer and got reallllly excited. 


Last week one of the quilters had a birthday so we had a potluck luncheon. She brought two loaves of homemade sourdough bread and let Ryan and I have the leftovers. So I asked him if he'd be interested in french toast for his lunch and of course he said yes - breakfast is his favorite meal of the day. I used a classic recipe, though I pretty much knew how to make french toast. My mom's mom, my Grandma Bee, used to make french toast for me when I lived in her house on Main Street: scramble eggs with a little milk, dip the bread slices in the mixture, and fry. Sometimes you fry them in butter but today I didn't, hence the blackened toast. I added cinnamon to the egg mixture and served the french toast with cantaloupe (for me) and blueberries (for Ryan.) 

It was hog heaven. 



Thanks must go to Martine for giving me some of her cantaloupe. We had dinner at her apartment last night and she insisted on sending me home with a quarter of a cantaloupe, a bottle of juice, and three slices of the chocolate cake she made. 


Doesn't that just look like a painting? It's so luscious. 

What's in your frying pan? 



No comments:

Post a Comment