Friday, November 29, 2013

A Hand-Washed Turkey...

In honor of Turkey Day, this bit of stupid:


You have to watch it all the way to the end to get my reference, but yes, it has to do with turkey. This fantastic video is from 2003 but I still remember the song.

Yesterday was of course Thanksgiving Day (and today is Buy Nothing Day, so as much as I'd like to buy rolls to have yummy turkey sandwiches I am going to go without) and I was honored to feast with my team at the Fourth World Movement New Orleans. I accompanied my turkey, green-bean casserole, macaroni and cheese, collard greens, stuffing, and sweet potato pie with brown sugar bourbon, Beaujolais Nouveau and chardonnay. Not only was I in a food coma but I was also in a bit of a too-much-alcohol-too-fast stupor. Not drunk, but just unable to stand. At one point I was so full that I just had to sink into the couch and stare contentedly at folks. I have two Tupperware containers full of leftovers as well.

My contribution to the dinner (as it was really a Thanksgiving potluck) was a yummy satsuma and pecan cake. I wasn't sure how it would turn out as satsumas are so tough and membrane-y but it was delicious. How could you go wrong, really, with cinnamon-spiced pecans, sugar, and butter?

I adapted the Crustless Cranberry Pie recipe to make it more local and was thrilled with the results. Everybody gobbled it down, so I guess everyone else liked it too!


Before the wet ingredients were added, it looked like everything was covered in snow. =)

I freaked a little bit while the oven was pre-heating because I could have sworn we had a 9-inch glass pie pan in my house but I couldn't find it. Good thing I had these heart-shaped cake pans that my friend Maya gave me! They added a nice touch to the presentation.


So yummy. The top developed a crunchy crust and the insides were chewy and sweet. I highly recommend this recipe!

Enjoy your turkey sandwiches and turkey soup and turkey salad and turkey tacos and turkey...

No comments:

Post a Comment