Saturday, July 13, 2013

My First True Summer Meal

They say that summer is the best time for salads, but I'm really not much of a salad person. I tend not to have lettuce in the house; I prefer spinach for adding to smoothies. I started eating bananas again after skipping them for the month of June while I was doing the Eat Local challenge and had a smoothie this morning. But the mixed greens I got from the farmer's market turned out to be 80% arugula, so the handful I threw into my smoothie (with yogurt, strawberries, fresh figs and flaxseed) made the whole thing very bitter. I added some honey which made it tasty, with just a bitter aftertaste. 


It must have been a good smoothie because it kept me going until 2:00 p.m. when I ate this yummy salad. I had just a couple pretzels at noon. I wanted to eat something that would fill me up but not be too heavy so I could play volleyball this afternoon in the heat. This salad combines mixed greens, two sliced roma tomatoes, half a grapefruit, walnuts, a hard boiled egg, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. The grapefruit added a nice sweetness that surprisingly paired well with the egg bits. Yummy and very filling! I played for about two hours, which is a lot for me.

Then I was invited to dinner by one of the players. He and his wife grilled burgers, bratwurst, chicken and shrimp with veggies; I ate with them and two of their friends before they went to see "A Little Night Music" at Tulane. The food was so delicious and I was very happy. I made fast friends with their scaredy cat, Cassie, and had to tear myself away from her. She was so damn cute and fluffy and I could have sat on their couch petting her forever. Thierry, I miss you! <3


I may have to buy some more groceries if I want to cook anything this week... happy munching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment