Saturday, July 27, 2013

How to Freeze and Eat Summer: Lemon Nectarine Frozen Yogurt


This recipe is a work in progress. I started it Thursday when I bought some of the most juicy, delicious nectarines I've ever had in my life at the Mid-City farmer's market. Four of them were pretty bruised, but even the bruises tasted sweet, so of course I wasn't going to throw them away. Into the blender they went, along with the dream of sorbet or frozen yogurt or something.

I couldn't make ice cream because I don't keep milk in the house, but I do always have yogurt, which I make. I blended together the nectarines, skin and all, with a couple ice cubes (which actually dulled the flavor and which I won't do again) and poured the mix into a plastic container. I put it straight into the freezer.

When I tasted it a few days later, it was not smooth like I'd wanted. Of course it wasn't smooth, because I'd basically made thick, frozen juice. (It was essentially a nectarine scrapey, which is a story for another day.) So today I took it out and let it thaw for about two hours. Then I blended in about 3/4 cup of yogurt to make it a little smoother. I also made a 2 - 1 simple syrup and added about 1/4 cup of that, plus the juice of half one lemon. Now it's back in the freezer and I'll taste it tomorrow. Commence the crossing of fingers!

Ingredients:
4 nectarines, the bruised ones that need to be used immediately
3/4 cup yogurt
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup simple syrup (1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water, boiled together; can be kept in the fridge for a month)
A blender
A freezer

Stay tuned for results! I can tell you that it tastes delicious in the blender...

No comments:

Post a Comment