Monday, May 19, 2014

Playing "Ketchup"

Goodness me... I have been a bad blogger. I apologize. After Mardi Gras, I thought that things might slow down enough for me to blog but instead they just got crazy busy. I left New Orleans in April after my yearlong term with AmeriCorps ended and despite being home in CT and having lots of time to laze about, I didn't blog. For weeks I was working and travelling and then when I got home I just wanted to do nothing. But I did make some things that I wanted to share.

Bachelor Pie


I've been eating a lot of toast for breakfast lately, but I never eat anything so boring as buttered toast - it's a full meal. My grandmother, Magy (Ma Gee for Ma Grosslein), has been making Bachelor Pie as long as I can remember and it's always a staple at her house. While spending a few days with her, my grandfather (Pagy) and my dad on Cape Cod, I ate a lot of Bachelor Pie with strawberry jam and fresh sliced strawberries. At home I made my own Bachelor Pie with peanut butter, bananas, and granola homemade by a cousin of mine. It was so delicious and kept me full straight through lunch time. 

Simple and Delicious Bachelor Pie 

Sliced bread, home baked or store bought; whole wheat and white are best but you can use any type
Butter, if desired
Jam or marmalade, any flavor (homemade is best!) 
Sliced fruit

Toast the bread to your liking. The darker you toast the bread, the more toppings it will support. Spread toast with butter if you prefer and follow with jam or marmalade. Arrange slices of fruit on top. Enjoy, especially with tea or coffee. 

Throwing Things Together (3T) Pizza


Yesterday after running errands Mom and I were contemplating stopping by the new wood fire oven pizza cart in town. Apparently it isn't open on Sundays - and thank goodness. We went home and realized that we had a pre-made pizza crust, lots of cheese, sweet potatoes and other miscellaneous ingredients to use up in the fridge. Mom let me choose what toppings I wanted to combine so I came up with the above: half marinara with avocado slices, cheddar jack and Mexican cheese blends and grated carrot with garlic powder and half sweet potato mash, gala apples and feta cheese with cinnamon.


I baked the pizza in a 400 degree oven for 14 minutes or so until the crust (brushed with olive oil) was brown and crispy. The apple half was sweet like a dessert pizza and the avocado half was heavy with garlic and Mexican and Italian flavors. We were thrilled and so glad that we stayed in!

It feels so good to blog again.

Happy munching!


No comments:

Post a Comment